Sunday 19 October 2008

Word Riddles

The following two word riddles are a fantastic way to help children identify the rule which these qualitative changes (Taylor-Cox, 2006) follow. They can be very tricky especially when they are spoken instead of written.



First Riddle:
"I am going on a holiday.
I can take um...a tent.
I can take um...a my puppy.
But I can't take my book."


Invite the children to then ask more questions about what they are allowed to take on the holiday.

They might ask, "Can you take a computer?"
No, I can't take a computer.
Or another might ask, "Can you take me?"
No, I can't take you.
Or yet another might say, "Can you take um...a boat?"
Yes, I can take a boat.

Ask the children who think they have figured out the rule to test it by asking more questions and keep listening to others' suggestions in order to check the rule they are using is working consistently. It can go on for a long time and amuse many children (and adults alike) for a long time also. Discuss the rule at the very end, and invite the children to try it out with others in their family.

Or try this other riddle.

"What can fit through the little green door?
A dog can't fit through the little green door,
But a puppy can fit through the little green door.
A cat can't fit through the little green door,
But a kitten can fit through the little green door."

Again, invite the children to ask more questions about what can fit through the little green door.

Their first question may be, "Oh, this one is easy, can babies fit through the little green door?"
No, babies cannot fit through the little green door. Nor can ducklings, nor can baby chicks. But bunnies can fit through the little green door.

Surprised? Have you worked out the rules? Feel free to e-mail me/leave a comment if you'd like your answer confirmed.

No comments: